Montra Cyber Readiness 3: Keep Updates — Up to Date
October 19, 2020
1. Have A Cyber Readiness Plan
2. Establish Strict Policies and Procedures
3. Keep Updates — Up to Date
4. Force Authentication
5. Back-Up Everything!
6. Don’t Neglect Compliance
This week we are reviewing #3 — Keep Updates — Up to Date
While updates often introduce new or enhanced features into your apps, programs, and systems, they also install security and performance fixes known as patches. Undiscovered defects or flaws can leave your systems exposed. Hackers will exploit any vulnerability or security gap they find. Keeping your systems updated is vital for keeping your business cyber ready.
Failure to Patch systems results in a breach.
Of the companies who reported that their business experienced one or more data breaches in the past year, 57% confirmed that these breaches probably occurred because a patch was available for a known vulnerability but not applied.
Why are Security Patches Important?
Security patches address known vulnerabilities within software systems. Once these flaws or weaknesses become known, cybercriminals begin looking for ways to exploit them. The sooner a security patch is installed, the faster your business can restore protection and security against threats associated with vulnerabilities.
Below are the five effective elements for applying security patches :
- Automate. With an automated system, analyzing and deploying patches can be as easy and provide significant time savings.
- Plan your approach. Group systems by department, location, etc. to better handle your environment and more productively manage patches.
- Test patches. Don’t just push out patches before testing them. All patches should be thoroughly lab-tested.
- Know the configurations. Make sure you synchronize and validate your development, test, and development patch configuration settings.
- Maintain patch levels. Be proactive and schedule scans on a daily or weekly basis to analyze the environment and deploy all critical patches.
Learn more about Montra’s Security Services and how we can automate and optimize your system updates and patches.